Thursday, 7 June 2012

Medical Professionals

Music currently playing: Danzel - You Spin Me Round

Generally, I don't feel nervous or scared about the operation, but it's more likely that deep inside me, I'm terrified. A lot of people don't know this, but this is actually Round 2 for me. I've fought this off earlier in my 20s. Actually, I was diagnosed when I was 19, but got operated on when I was 20. I had a similar operation back then, which just like today, cost a lot. The cancer was in situ, in my chest, and was successfully removed. Back then, it was a lot simpler to deal with. And I was told of the possibility of its return, and after trying multiple times to get an answer, they said I *MAY* not survive the next round.

Let me tell you something from my experience. Doctors, well, medical professionals in general, HATE giving you predictions. And that's because the field of medicine is very much unpredictable.

Music currently playing: Edward Shearmur - Grand Central Station

"Is he going to make it, doc?"
"We'll see how he responds to treatment and we'll go from there."

I don't think it's because they're not confident in their skills, but more that they don't want to provide false hope.

"You'll be fine, Mr Johnson." Nekk minit, filling out the form for a death certificate.

So when asking "Is this gonna come back later on in my life?", they don't want to answer that question. Because people place a lot of stock in a doctor's response to that sort of question, don't they? And the medical professionals know this. Because if they're right, they could influence you how you live the rest of your life. If they're wrong, then they'd be in someone's bad books.

Music currently playing: A-ha - The Sun Always Shines On TV

I don't hate medical professionals. I have faith in them. I'm placing my life in their hands. I ask the right questions - and ask the tough ones. I have massive respect for those who say to me "I don't know.", but hearing that isn't very frequent - they don't like saying that either.

The countdown is running, and it's getting close. Relax. Breathe. And that makes me want to choose the next track to listen to.

Music currently playing: Alexi Murdoch - Breathe 

No comments:

Post a Comment